Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Coffee with Bathsheba (Bible Mommies series)

Bathsheba: The Mother of a King

Great to have you with us today, Bathsheba!

Thank you. To tell you the truth, I'm a bit nervous. I may not be like your other guests. She lowers her lashes. Let me just say upfront that my past is sordid.

I'm aware of that, but please, I hope you will relax and know that I don't look down on you. Who am I that I should do so? After all, my Lord told the woman caught in adultery, "Neither do I condemn you; go, and sin no more." Jesus always presented truth and grace to the hearer.

Her shoulders noticeably relax. Thank you for the reminder. It's amazing that I would even be mentioned in the ancestral line of my precious Lord, not by name, of course, but as the wife of Uriah. God doesn't overlook our sin; no, He paid a huge price to take care of it. And those who come to Him receive forgiveness on the basis of Christ's work on the cross. I praise Him for that. 

Those of us who believe in and follow Christ know what you mean. Tell us a little bit about your journey as a mother.

Well, my first baby son by King David died. But later, God blessed us with another son. We named him Solomon. I knew he would one day rule the kingdom, so I worked hard to prepare him, and perhaps in some ways, to make up for the terrible mistake I had made with David. 

What types of things did you teach him?

She smiles. Oh, all the wonderful things any mommy teaches her child. Stuff about the sky, the moon, obedience, eating right, but most of all, life and his place in it. I had no idea just how much I'd actually taught him, but I understand he wrote down much of my practical advice in a book titled Proverbs. Practical information about relationships with women, friendships, alcohol use, civil rights, choosing a bride, and money. I wanted him to be equipped for life, especially as the future king. Sadly, while he started out on the right track, asking God to give him wisdom and understanding in ruling His people, my son later succumbed to the wiles of women, many women, and strayed from his love for God. It may be cliche, but most teaching is caught rather than taught. She shakes her head. I suppose he mimicked his parents' affinity for sexual pleasure outside of God's ordained plan and thus, took many wives and concubines who worshipped other gods. 

But he did leave us some good warnings in the books he wrote.

Yes, he did. And for that, I'm thankful. 

What would you say is the number one thing a mother should do for her child?

Teach and train him to love and serve the one, true God. In that way, she will prepare him for life. 

Thank you, Bathsheba. I know my readers value your input as a mom. For more of Bathsheba's story, read 2 Samuel 11-12.

No comments:

A Grandchild's Lavish Love

  I sat in the church pew with a shredded heart. The week had been tough on multiple fronts, emotion running high, mostly over the injustic...