Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Through the Eyes of a Child


I love seeing the world through my grandchildren’s eyes. They teach me valuable lessons about life, love, and faith through their spontaneous musings. It is with children that I often feel closest to God. When I tell them stories about my childhood, I recall ways the Lord has watched over me. When I calm their fears, I quiet my own. When I sing faith-building songs or share a Bible story, I affirm my own faith. When I blow bubbles, race matchbox cars, or frolic in a field, I rekindle the little child within. Through their toothless grins, chubby hugs, and sloppy kisses, I learn more about the love of my heavenly Father. I hear Him laugh along with our giggles. And I am whole. Alive. Fed to the core of my being.


Indeed, kids can take us right to the heart of God, one way or another. When they provoke frustration, we breathe a silent prayer for grace. When they incite giggles, we hear God’s laughter as well. When they stimulate an endearing moment, we sense God’s touch. When they utter a profound statement, we step back in wonder. What is this phenomenon a little one evokes? 


Bubbly ripples of laughter that transport us to another realm. Unabashed honesty that cuts to the chase. Joy splashing around our ankles, light spilling into shadow, awakening us to a childlike appreciation for the world around us. If we take the time, if we listen, if we stoop to their level, we can go where kids go—straight to the heart of God. 


My soon-to-be released gift book titled Wit & Wisdom from the Wee Ones is a collection of cute quips and quotes inspired by my grandchildren. (Yes, it's still in the works, folks!) Along with other contributors, I crack the door to the whimsical, yet often wise world of the child. In seeing the world through a child’s eyes, we may just hear God’s heartbeat as well.



Eileen Rife, author of Wit and Wisdom from the Wee Ones, enjoys jumping on the trampoline, blowing bubbles, and playing tea party with her seven grandchildren. www.eileenrife.com, www.eileen-rife.blogspot.com







No comments:

A Grandchild's Lavish Love

  I sat in the church pew with a shredded heart. The week had been tough on multiple fronts, emotion running high, mostly over the injustic...