Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Reflections from Cambodia: Looking for the Lovely

I'm sick. A cold bug hit me four days into our stay in Phnom Penh. Now I sit on a metal chair watching young missionary families stream through the door for the Christmas service. In spite of the fever I feel, I can't help but tear up at the sight of these willing servants devoted to sharing Jesus with the Cambodian people.

Later, after a variety of musical selections and message, I venture from my seat, refreshment plate in hand, and visit with a few missionary moms. One's a veteran of 20 years, another a newbie to the field, but both testify that applying Philippians 4:8 (looking for the lovely) in the midst of sewer rats, rotting garbage, people darkened by sin and deception, oppressive heat that stifles the breath, language sounds that are foreign to the American ear, and a host of other challenges, was the turning point in their ability to endure daily.

I smile, a thrill skipping up my spine. Their words echo my heart. Part of my personal quest in coming to Cambodia is to embrace God's adventure and look for His beauty at every turn. I'd found Him in the faces of these missionary wives, my own daughter included, who sat a few feet from me smiling and talking with another young wife. These are precious reunions for missionary families spread out over the provinces, who only come together on occasion to worship and encourage one another.

Though weak from my cold, I'm empowered by what I've witnessed tonight, determined to continue my quest to enjoy the journey God has for me right now, right where He's placed me.    

1 comment:

UNKNOWN said...

Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. prince group cambodia

A Grandchild's Lavish Love

  I sat in the church pew with a shredded heart. The week had been tough on multiple fronts, emotion running high, mostly over the injustic...