Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Simple Garden

Another after-Christmas "puttering" day working about the house. On my fun to-do list today was assembling my Simple Garden gifted by my sister, Lois.



First, I placed the three compact soil disks in a plastic tub and added a gallon and a half of warm water.



After 15 minutes, I crumbled the soil in my hands and filled the provided plant container with the rich humus.



Next, I placed the planting grid over the soil. After I studied (sounds too hard, but quite the contrary)the accompanying manual, I dropped two-three seeds in the designated holes and pushed lightly with the planting stick provided. The kit came with cherry tomato and basil seeds. Lois also included a package of gourmet lettuce seeds. (My mouth is watering just typing this. Yum!)



Then I covered the container with the plastic greenhouse lid and taped the air vents to ensure warmth and moisture according to the instructions for growing indoors.





Finally, I set the planter in a sunny window (okay, it was sunny when I placed it there and hopefully will be tomorrow :). The container is resting comfortably on a heating pad to keep the baby seeds warm until they sprout, which should be in about 7 - 10 days.

Will keep you posted on my "babies" progress.

And then, Bon Appetit!

Check out www.theSimpleGarden.com for your easy winter gourmet garden.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! If I had seen this before Christmas I would have asked for one under the tree. I've got a birthday coming up though...hmmmmm!

A Grandchild's Lavish Love

  I sat in the church pew with a shredded heart. The week had been tough on multiple fronts, emotion running high, mostly over the injustic...