Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Welcome author, Janice Davis!





Tell my readers about yourself, Janice.

I am a Christian, wife, mother, and teacher. Each day I enjoy time with 100 sixth-graders, teaching them more about writing and communication. My favorite activities, though, are time with my husband and daughter - games, chatting, walking, or just hanging out together. Those are precious times.





Why did you write, Finding My Smile?

My grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's when she was 74 years old. I watched her suffer for 10 years; I watched my family suffer as she lost all recognition of who we were or what she knew. Then, one day years after she passed away, I met a dear woman who adopted a beautiful girl afflicted with FAS (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome). As I learned more about the struggles that young woman faced each day because of her birth-mother's neglect, my heart broke. One morning, God began working in my heart. He had already given me a passion for writing. That morning, He gave me a story - Finding My Smile - a beautiful message tying two diseases that can paralyze families or bind them together, depending on how HE is allowed in the process. God began speaking to me; I began typing. This amazing story is the result of His complete inspiration.

What do you want readers to take-away from this novel?

As I wrote this story, and as it now enters the market, it is my constant prayer that every person who reads it will be touched by God's amazing message of unconditional love, forgiveness, and grace. We are never so far beyond God's grace that He can't reach us. It is only in our walking away from Him that a distance occurs.

How did writing Finding My Smile impact your life?

Each moment I wrote was an indescribable moment in Shekinah - the presence of God's glory. I cannot begin to put adequate words down to describe the blessing of having God tell you a story like this one - even if much of it is based on my own life. He masterfully wove it together into a message that has touched my life intensely. I pray every reader will find that same intensity and blessing as they read His message as well.

Do you have any particular influences/people who have inspired you in your life journey thus far?

My husband has been a tremendous influence in my life. He's the one that convinced me to pursue a dream of teaching. Then, one day when I wanted to spend more time with our daughter, he agreed that working part-time would be a reality we could endure. It was through those moments that I began searching my passion for writing more and more. Our daughter is my other inspiration. She begged me to tell stories, often encouraging me to write them down. Then, one day, as I began to write this one she graciously gave me time to work. Later, she would listen as I shared ideas, offer her own brilliant suggestions, and then read the passages to give me insight from a teenager perspective. But, most of all, God is my ultimate influence and favorite author of all time. Without His inspiration and previous book (BIBLE), this story would not be in print today.

Is there anything else you'd like to share with my readers?

If you or someone you love is afflicted with Alzheimer's or FAS, don't hesitate to reach out to God for his amazing grace and courage! He will never let you down. If this book inspires you as well, please let me know.

You can email Janice at:

boxofrocks@sbcglobal.net.

Janice's blog at The Christian Post:

http://blogs.christianpost.com/bindings/2012/02/alzheimers-finding-peace-in-the-midst-of-the-agony-02/

Thanks for joining us today, Janice, to share more about Finding My Smile!

For more information on FAS, check out the following website:

http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/brain/fas.html

For more information on Alzheimer's, check out this link:

http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_alzheimers_disease.asp

1 comment:

EWOD said...

Great book! Couldn't put it down

A Grandchild's Lavish Love

  I sat in the church pew with a shredded heart. The week had been tough on multiple fronts, emotion running high, mostly over the injustic...