Saturday, June 7, 2014

Coffee with Elizabeth (Bible Mommies series)

Elizabeth: Full of the Holy Spirit

Our next guest could've been jealous, yet she knew her role in God's story and was grateful for His plan. Elizabeth, in your old age, you carried the cousin of Jesus. When Mary came to visit and you heard her greeting, your baby leaped in your womb and you were filled with the Holy Spirit. You blessed Mary and her child. Surely, at some point, you must have felt at least a little jealous that she was chosen to carry the Savior and not you.

To be honest, it never crossed my mind. I was just so thankful to have a child and to raise him to serve the Lord. Each of us has a purpose, and we must fulfill what God has given us to do. That's all that matters. I felt so honored that the mother of my Lord should visit me. 

When your son was born, many assumed he'd be named after your husband, Zechariah.

Yes, but I spoke up and said, "No! He is to be called John," for that is what the angel instructed my husband to name him.

You are a woman of great faith, Elizabeth. You believed the Lord's promise to Zechariah. And you praised Him for His mercy and favor. 

Indeed, I did. Such joy and delight to have a son! And God had clearly defined his purpose: To bring many of the Israelites back to the Lord their God. To go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, "to turn the hearts of the fathers to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous--to make ready a people prepared for the Lord." I was overwhelmed that I should mother such a son with a high calling like that. 

So true. Still, when he grew up and lived in the desert, ate locusts and honey, you must have wondered at times. Was this what he was called to do?

She laughs. Well, he did look rugged. But I had full confidence that he was preparing the way for the Savior, so I let go. 

Letting go . . . another common theme among our mothers. What lessons would you say you learned?

That each of us has a role to play in God's kingdom story. It's important to submit to that purpose and allow God to use us and our children.

For more of Elizabeth's story, read Luke, chapter one.

No comments:

A Grandchild's Lavish Love

  I sat in the church pew with a shredded heart. The week had been tough on multiple fronts, emotion running high, mostly over the injustic...