Tuesday, August 19, 2014

You Are All My Reasons

One of my favorite movies is A Beautiful Mind based on the real life story of John Nash, mathematics professor, 1994 Nobel Memorial prize recipient in economics, and schizophrenic. Though reportedly Hollywood’s account is a skewed version of biographers, I enjoyed the film primarily for one element: his wife’s devotion to him even in his darkest moments, especially in his darkest moments. While the real story ends in divorce, the movie version shows a devoted husband and wife, working out the serious ramifications of mental illness. When Nash, now an old man, accepts his prize at the podium, he scans the audience. His eyes rest on his wife, Alicia, and he delivers the closing line of his address. “You are all my reasons.” Meaning, she was the one who ultimately kept him going when all else failed, even medication.
I love that line. I love the portrayal of marital commitment. It spurs me on to be a better wife to Chuck. But as much as I love my husband, the line impacts me for a more compelling reason.
My mind drifts to another relationship even more special than my marriage. My connection to the Lord. He truly is “all my reasons.”
For purpose, for meaning
For taking the next step
For getting up in the morning
For loving my family
For reaching out to others
For ministering in and through the local church
For writing
For speaking
For teaching
For joy
For peace
For hope, in this life and the next
Ultimately, the Lord has been the only one who could lift me up, even when those I love could not. He is my Rock, my Fortress, my strong deliverer. In Him I hide and find strength to carry on. I pray that you too are finding Him to be the Refuge you need.

~~
Eileen Rife, author of Second Chance, speaks to women’s groups, encouraging them to discover who they are in Christ and what part they play in His amazing story. www.eileenrife.com, www.eileen-rife.blogspot.com.

No comments:

A Grandchild's Lavish Love

  I sat in the church pew with a shredded heart. The week had been tough on multiple fronts, emotion running high, mostly over the injustic...