Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Life Lessons from Art

In a recent art class, I picked up techniques to help me draw better. But I also picked up a few life lessons in the process. 

My instructor insisted that his number one challenge in teaching art is getting his students to really see what they are drawing. To observe the visible, tangible item and apply the brain/hand connection on paper.

As a writer of eternal themes, I share a similar challenge, but in reverse: helping readers see the invisible--what God has revealed about Himself through His creation, His Word (the Bible), and His Son (Jesus Christ).

As with drawing, sometimes brain blockers exist, hindering one's ability to see. Really see. Damaged love receptors can distort one's view of who God really is--an eternal being full of love, grace, and truth. 

Yet the physical world around us, the Bible, and Jesus testify to the truth.

For those with spirit eyes to see . . .

Life Lesson 1: My instructor taught me to identify my light source so that I know where to apply specific shading. Jesus is my spiritual Light source. He is truth and the revealer of truth. 

Life Lesson 2: My instructor taught me how to use horizontal/vertical lines to draw a figure. When he stood in the center of the classroom with outstretched arms it reminded me of Christ's death on the cross as payment for my sin and provision for my forgiveness. 


Life Lesson 3: My instructor taught me how to use one/two point perspective. This technique reminded me that Christ and His Word is the reference point which provides proper perspective for shaping my life. 

Life Lesson 4: My instructor taught me how to draw with ink. This reminded me of the old hymn, "The Love of God" penned by Frederick M. Lehman in 1917. 

Could we with ink the ocean fill,
And were the skies of parchment made,
Were every stalk on earth a quill,
And every man a scribe by trade,
To write the love of God above,
Would drain the ocean dry.
Nor could the scroll contain the whole,
Though stretched from sky to sky.

I'm amazed, awed really, that no matter the discipline, God is there, revealing Himself--the Designer of all things beautiful, chief of which is a redeemed soul!

3 comments:

chappydebbie said...

Wow, what great insights. I truly LOVE this post. It's so true, no matter what we do in life, God is always at the center...we need only to seek Him out. Thanks for sharing this....now I will share it. Hugs!

Eileen Rife said...

I asked the Lord how to witness to my art instructor and classmates, and He woke me up each week with a new idea of how to relate to them with art. I love it when He does that! :)

chappydebbie said...

That's so wonderful. If only more people would seek God's guidance.

A Grandchild's Lavish Love

  I sat in the church pew with a shredded heart. The week had been tough on multiple fronts, emotion running high, mostly over the injustic...