Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Coffee with Hannah (Bible Mommies series)

Hannah: True to her Word

Welcome, Hannah! Another exceptional Bible mother. You prayed, you exalted the Lord, you spoke boldly. And God answered. I'm sure at times you wondered if the LORD was listening, yet you kept coming to the temple and pouring out your heart and your tears to Him. What did you say to God?

I made a vow. I said, "O LORD Almighty, if you will only look on your servant's misery and remember me, and not forget your servant but give her a son, then I will give him to the LORD for all the days of his life, and no razor will ever be used on his head."

That's quite a prayer of commitment. 

I saw no other way. My husband, Elkanah, couldn't quite understand my grief. I'm not sure most husbands really understand what it's like to be infertile. He thought his love was enough. And perhaps, it should've been. But oh, how I wanted a son. My rival, Elkanah's other wife, bitterly teased me day after day about my condition. Year after year, I endured her ridicule.

I can only imagine how difficult that must have been. What happened after you prayed?

I kept on praying, really. There was no immediate answer. And one day, the temple priest, Eli, saw me silently praying (my lips were moving). He accused me of being drunk, which only added to my pain and grief. When I told him about my prayers, he blessed me and supported me in my request. 

So, did God answer your prayer the way you wanted?

Yes, He most certainly did. Not long after that day, I discovered I was pregnant. I gave birth to a son and named him Samuel because "I asked the LORD for him." As the day approached to take Samuel to the temple, I stuck to my word and gave him back to the LORD.

That must have been hard. How could you do it? Give up your young son?

A promise is a promise. I prayed to the LORD for the child, and He granted my request. I had to give his life over to the LORD and worship Him. 

Did you ever see Samuel again?

Oh yes. Every year I made him a little coat to take to him when Elkanah and I went to offer sacrifices at the temple. 

Such a story. What lessons do you think you learned from mothering?

Don't be afraid to release God's blessings (your children) back to Him. He knows best about their future since He has a plan for their lives. 

Thanks, Hannah, for joining us today! May we all be as true to our word as you were. And may we all trust God enough to place our precious children in His loving arms.

For more of Hannah's story, read 1 Samuel, chapters one and two.  

No comments:

A Grandchild's Lavish Love

  I sat in the church pew with a shredded heart. The week had been tough on multiple fronts, emotion running high, mostly over the injustic...