Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Help for Those Pesty Parasites

freeimages.com

The other day I studied Psalm 23 with a young woman. I wondered, This is such a familiar passage, what fresh insight might God possibly provide? 
Through the years, I've read this passage more times than I can count, even read/studied Phillip Keller's wonderful book, A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 (highly recommended, by the way). Even experienced the passage personally in difficult times. The temptation to fly through it this time around was real. Yet, I believe the Lord purposely slowed me down to take a deeper look. 
Throughout the study week, I took great joy in looking up cross references, journaling my thoughts, and investigating what scholars had to say. What rich gems I came away with, some old insights revisited, others reinforced with a fresh spin. Oh, how often I limit His unlimitless illumination by the Holy Spirit! 
One fresh spin I garnered centered around the phase, "He anoints my head with oil." One job the shepherd must tend to when caring for his sheep is anointing their heads with oil. This methodical process, which also involves the ears, wards off harmful insects that left to themselves would burrow deep into the sheep's ears and eventually kill the sheep. With that thought in mind, a bing went off for me.  In John 10, Jesus, the Good Shepherd, says that His sheep hear His voice and they follow Him. 
The Lord, as my Shepherd, takes great care to ward off enemies that are bent on my destruction. He does this primarily through the healing ointment of the Word of God applied to my mind and heart by the Holy Spirit. My faithful Shepherd will apply the salve as needed. My part is to allow Him to do so (not kick up a fuss, but remain still and rest while He works on me). He wants my ears healthy so that I can listen and follow Him. 
A powerful song, "Voice of Truth" by Casting Crowns, reminds me to turn away from the lies of my enemies (the world, the flesh, and the devil) and listen to the Lord's truth about who is He and who I am in Him. Click on the link below to enjoy the song.

No comments:

A Grandchild's Lavish Love

  I sat in the church pew with a shredded heart. The week had been tough on multiple fronts, emotion running high, mostly over the injustic...